Sunday 7 September 2008

Exploring Arequipa

Before leaving Arequipa for Cusco yesterday Adrian and I did a bit more exploring, and decided to pay a visit to the Santa Catalina Convent, which was recommended by our trusty guide book. We thought it´d be a half hour thing: pop in, have a cuppa, wonder off. I think we were actually in there for nearly three hours.... and I don´t think I´ve ever taken so many photographs in one location before.

It´s basically a walled town completely seperate from the rest of the city, despite being very central. It´s so peaceful and you see some of the ´cells´ which have been kept exactly as the nuns left them. There were once over 400 nuns living their (fairly) solitary existences there, but now there are only 50 or so living in an area kept seperate from the part open to tourists.

It´s all narrow cobbled streets with walls painted shades of blue and red, and potted geraniums everywhere. It was a super sunny day too which made it even more beautiful. I could start a whole new blog with the photos I took, but I´ll just have to be selective and pop a few on for now....

No comments: